CLAS Honoured Fellows
“My calligraphy and lettering is often radical in its approach, but always respectful of the subject and rooted in the mainstreem of the calligraphy tradition.”
In a recent introduction to an exhibition catalogue he was described as; “having an international reputation as one of the foremost calligraphers and teachers in the western world. His work is characteristically innovative and technically adventurous, reflecting the broad-based, problem solving approach of his training. Outstanding both in his originality of design and in beauty of execution, his work has for many years been at the forefront of contemporary lettering art.”
Peter was taught by Maisie Sherley at Medway College of Art, graduating in 1960, who herself was taught by two students of the founding father of modern calligraphy and lettering-Edward Johnston. This puts him in the direct line of the art and craft revival of the 20th century.
He lives and works in Staffordshire as a practising freelance calligrapher and lettering artist and until 1992 he was Head of the Faculty of Arts and Design at John Taylor High School. He has taught and lectured widely in the British Isles and USA.
Peter was elected as a Fellow of the Society of Scribes and Illuminators in 1976, was Chairman from 1981-85; is a full (founding) member of Letter Exchange; Founder Chairman and Honoured Fellow of CLAS.
Peter has work in the Collection of Contemporary Calligraphy in the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge UK; in the Houghton Library, Harvard University, Cambridge Mass., USA. He has work many in public and private collections.
- Contemporary Calligraphy-Modern Scribes and Lettering Artist II (Hardback and paperback) Editor, introduction and contributor. Publ. Trefoil 1986
- Creative Lettering and Calligraphy (Hardback), Publ. Kingfisher 1990.
- Creative Calligraphy (Paperback), Publ. Kingfisher 1992 & 2000.
- Creative Calligraphy (US Paperback)
- Calligraphy Masterclass Editor, introduction and contributor Publ. Collins 1990.
- Calligraphy Masterclass 2nd Ed. Publ. Bloomsbury Books
- Work illustrated in many publications
Pieces of work
The Calligraphy and Lettering Arts Society, 54 Boileau Road, London SW13 9BL England